October 19

St. Peter Of Alcantara

Preparation. - “We always bear about in our body the mortification of Jesus” (2 Cor. 4. 10). St. Peter of Alcantara could apply these words of St. Paul to himself; for, first, on account of his austerities and of dying perfectly to himself, he led a heavenly life on earth, and secondly, his penitent life was a more happy life than that of worldlings. Let us, during our meditation, ask him for the spirit of penance and of mortification of the senses, so that “the life of Jesus also may be made manifest in us.”

I. Austere Life Of St. Peter Of Alcantara

This illustrious saint astonished even the noblest souls by his severity toward himself. As soon as he received the religious habit, he resolved always to keep his eyes cast down. He never looked at any one, not even at his religious brethren, being satisfied with recognizing them by their voice. He usually ate but once every three days, and sometimes would spend a week without food.

And what is still more prodigious, for forty years he slept daily only an hour and a half, and this kneeling down, with his head leaning against the wall, or against a rope stretched out in his room. He never approached the fire, not even in the heart of winter. Add to this an extreme poverty, frequent disciplines, wearing constantly frightful instruments of penance, and we shall have some idea of his austerities; his body resembled a skeleton, so lean and dried up it looked.

But whence did that holy man, weak and mortal like ourselves, acquire this admirable zeal for suffering? From the profound impression the Saviour’s Passion made on him. Often was he seen prostrate before a large cross, with outstretched arms, and all bathed in tears. One day he appeared surrounded with flames proceeding from his heart all aglow with love; and the very cross before which he was praying, became inflamed therefrom and all radiant with light.

O my crucified Jesus, did I but know the treasures hidden in Thee, I would never cease meditating on Thy opprobriums and sufferings, and this meditation would inspire me with the courage of combating my effeminate and sensual life, which causes me to dislike crosses and to seek eagerly earthly pleasures. That I may obtain the spirit of penance, which is so necessary to Thy disciples, I am resolved, first to repress my sloth and negligence in fulfilling my daily duties; and secondly, not to seek the things that flatter my taste, vanity, curiosity and self-love, but to take pleasure in following Thy steps, O Jesus, and in living with Thee in trials, labors and hardships. Grant me the grace of crucifying here below my flesh and its lusts, so that my soul may be perfectly united to Thee. “Those that are Christ’s, have crucified their flesh with the vices and concupiscences” (Gal. 5. 24).

II. The Happiness St. Peter Enjoyed In Austerity

The austere life of St. Peter of Alcantara made him a thousand times more happy than those who are slaves of their body and of sensual pleasures. Being freed from the useless desires that torment the human heart, he wished only for God, and God, on His side, lavished His favors upon him, inundating his soul with delights at mental prayer. Often was he seen raised in the air as high as the trees of the forest, whither he retired for prayer. A celebrated Dominican, enlightened by God, beheld him one day accompanied by a multitude of angels, who followed him every where and rendered him every kind of service. Our Lord Himself several times honored him with His visits.

Should we, after this, be astonished that rain and storms respected him? Being one day overtaken by a snow-storm far away from any shelter, the snow fell all around him an formed a kind of chapel, in which he and his companions spent the night quite peacefully in praising God.

His prayers were so powerful, that our Lord revealed to St. Teresa, that He could not refuse him anything; so true it is that God always bountifully rewards already in this life the sacrifices for His sake.

Is not such a manner of life preferable to that of monarchs and of the wealthy and influential in this world? Such a life is the fruit of dying wholly to one’s self and to all that is not God. If we wish to participate therein, we ought from this day forth resolve, first, not to lose, for the sake of trifles, so many degrees of grace, holiness and merit, so many lights and consolations that would result from a more mortified life; and secondly, to break asunder all the ties of affection which attach us to a certain object, a certain occupation, a certain pleasure, a certain person, notion or defect.

O my God, how blind am I in preferring so often nature to grace, my body to my soul, the goods of time to those of eternity. Alas! I do this every time I offend Thee by some slight, by a want of fidelity. O Mary, most pure Virgin, obtain for me henceforth to watch over my eyes, over all my senses and my self-will, so that I may be attached to God alone.


  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP